Cyber access refers to how users and organizations access and interact with each other in cyberspace. Cybercriminals are becoming better and stealthier by the day. There is a need to practice cyber hygiene. This is to protect your data, financial information and anything else you want to keep out of reach.
Here are some frequently asked questions when it comes to Cyber access protection.
1. What is cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity refers to the process of protecting computer systems and networks from damage or theft. It relates to preventing criminals or unauthorized users from accessing and damaging hardware, software or electronic data. It also prevents these criminals from disrupting or redirecting an individual’s or an organization’s activities.
2. What is the cybersecurity Framework?
According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Cybersecurity Framework contains guidelines, standards and best practices which an organization can use to manage cybersecurity-related risk. The five core functions in the framework are;
By implementing the NIST cybersecurity framework, an organization is better placed to protect its physical and digital assets.
3. What are some cyber threats to watch out for?
There are many ways cybercriminals use to attack vulnerable individuals and organizations. Some of them are:
- Phishing and spear phishing. – This involves sending fraudulent communication, like emails, to steal sensitive data. Spear Phishing is when the message contains some legitimate items like the right logo but is actually not genuine.
- – This is a type of malware. It encrypts the victim’s information making it inaccessible. It then demands payment for the decryption key.
- Man-in-the-middle attack (MitM). – This is also called an eavesdropping attack. The attackers insert themselves into a transaction to filter and steal data.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS). – The main goal of a DDoS is to disrupt normal web traffic and take a website offline. They do this by flooding the systems with more requests than it can handle, causing it to crash.
4. Isn’t cybersecurity an IT issue?
Some organizations have a specific security team to protect their networks from attacks. But, every person has a role to play. For example, they can abstain from sharing sensitive information like login credentials on the net. Cybersecurity is a collaborative effort. There are training you can attend so that you can keep your devices and data safe.
5. Are mobile devices at risk of cybercrimes?
Yes, mobile devices are also subject to attack. There are three main ways phones can be vulnerable to cyber threats:
- You can access sensitive websites on an unsecured network. This makes you more vulnerable to attacks.
- You may download mobile malware that endangers your data.
- You may lose your phone. If it is unprotected, criminals can steal your information or personal access accounts on it.
6. How do I keep my mobile device safe?
There are a few steps you can take to keep your mobile device safe. They include:
- Protecting your phone with a password. Make sure it locks after a certain duration of inactivity.
- You can encrypt your mobile device. Protects your data if your phone goes missing.
- Back up your mobile data – this prevents data loss.
- Enable remote management on your phone. This way if it goes missing, you can erase all data remotely and lock it.
- Avoid login into your accounts in unsecured connections.
7. How do I keep my computer safe?
Some of the steps taken to secure mobile phones can also get used to secure a computer. Other steps include:
- Install and run antivirus software.
- Enable your computer’s firewall. It blocks potentially harmful hardware.
- Regularly update your computer’s software and firmware. New upgrades normally contain security patches.
- Physically keep your computer safe from unauthorized access.
8. How do I make my organization cyber secure?
There are a few steps to follow. They are:
- Perform an audit of your current security posture.
- Determine your target cybersecurity posture.
- Identify and focus on opportunities for improvement. This includes activities such as hiring a security team and training employees.
- Continuously assess your progress towards your goal.
9. How can I work in cybersecurity?
Several degrees can give you the necessary skills to work in cybersecurity. There are also some certifications you can get. Identify what field of cybersecurity you want to work. Determine what qualifications the role needs then get the necessary qualifications.
Statistics by Cybersecurity Ventures show that by 2021, cybercrimes will cost the world at least $6 Trillion in damages. You do not want to be a part of these statistics. Read up on the latest trends in cybersecurity. Protect your devices and data as an individual. Secure your organization and its data. You do not have to be a victim.